Planning for your next flooring project
Estimating the time and cost of a hardwood floor installation, repair, re-coat or remodel will require an in-person consultation and evaluation. Other considerations include what will have to be removed or replaced prior to hardwood installation, like tearing out of the existing flooring, flooring preparation including a sub-floor evaluation and installation of vapor barrier to protect your floors from moisture.
Top planning tips before your project begins
- Prior to us beginning a project, we will need you to remove all furniture, plants, rugs etc. out of the space.
- Although you don’t need to vacate your house entirely, we recommend you planning alternative foot traffic routes to avoid any floor areas that are being worked on.
- If your project includes a front entry way or kitchen- this may mean using your back door for a few days and eating out for a few meals.
- Pets: As much as we love our furry animals, it’s important to plan ahead and keep them outside of any rooms that we may be installing or refinishing in.
- Dust: We don’t use a dustless system, however we do plastic drape any area that we are working in. We also conduct a general clean up to ensure we leave your home looking fresh with your new floors.
- Power: We do need access to 230v power, which means we need access to your dryer plug.
- Dry Time: We use a 3-coat system. This typically consists of 1 coat of sealer or stain, followed by 2 coats of finish.
- A safe standard is to assume floors should stay clear of any foot traffic for at least (4) hours after. Even after (4) hours the only foot traffic your floors should see is what we call stocking feet- keep your socks on.
- Furniture: Keep furniture clear of your floors at least (3) days after the last finish coat.
- Rugs: Keep rugs clear of your floors at least (10) days after the last finish coat.
- Protecting your floors: After your floors are complete we recommend place felt furniture pads on the bottoms of any furniture legs or surfaces that may scuff your floor! This includes rug mats- avoid placing any rugs on your floor that have exposed plastic weaving on the underside.
- If you are sensitive to chemicals, or, you have pets, please mention this when you talk with us so we can discuss the options available to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of service do you need?
If you are not certain about which type of hardwood service you need, just call us. We can talk with you initially, then will schedule a consultation where we can review the surface in person and provide you with an accurate quote. Common requests include:
- Replacement of non-hardwood flooring
- Repair to existing hardwood damage
- Requesting a fresh coat to add luster to the surface
- Extending hardwoods into a new space
- Installation of new hardwoods
- Remodeling a room to include removal of current flooring
How much is this going to cost?
It depends entirely on what service you need! Services vary from a simple re-coat, to a full tear-out and install, and sometimes you run into unexpected hurdles. Therefore, base costs can vary anywhere between $3.00/sq ft – $12.00/sq ft.
We provide free estimates and an initial consultation. Once we confirm the service needed and complete an in-person survey of your floors, we will provide a project cost that we promise to stick to. We’ve been in this industry for over 30 years and take pride in keeping our word and never surprising our clients with unexpected costs.
How long will everything take?
It depends on the services needed. Jobs can take anywhere from 2 to 10 days. Even the type of finish you choose can effect cure time. Example: If you choose to finish your floors with an oil based finish, we recommend you remain out of your home for 3 days or more, after the final coat because the floor cures and off-gasses. Within one week the finish has a 90% cure rate. Within 10 days you can place your area rugs on the finished floors. The off-gassing of the finish typically occurs between 30-90 days depending on the environment within and without.
Every project is unique. For instance, for a new installation of hardwood in a 350 square foot room, we performed a tear-out of carpet and particle board, which left a gap between the floor and the molding. This added more time to the project because we had to add base shoe connectors to compensate for the gap. An oil based finished was applied, which required two coats, resulted in completion in five days. On average, these types of projects can fluctuate between four and five days for completion.
More questions? Contact us today.